Worried you have to give up convenience for green-ness? Well worry no more! Try these super easy swaps to get your life moving in an eco-friendly direction. (no compost bin necessary!)
- Reusable grocery bags. It’s a cliche suggestion because it’s a good one! To save even more money, troche instead of buying a bunch of new cloth ones reuse the plastic bags you already have. The are super easy to fold up and toss in your purse so you always have them!
- Switch your food storage to glass/Pyrex. They last longer and are more Eco-friendly.
- Choose zero-packaged foods – there is nothing to toss!
- Invest in rechargeable batteries – saves money and it’s so nice to never run out.
- Change your water heater temp to 120 instead of 140. Stupid easy switch that saves money and the environment.
- Wash clothes in cold water – they get just as clean and it saves cash! No special soap needed.
- LEDs instead of incandescent light bulbs – next time you buy a bulb, this buy LED.
- Low-flow faucet filter – easy to install, approved and saves water.
- DIY cleaners (no really, it’s easy…and CHEAP!)
- Cloth towels and napkins – no paper waste and they make you feel fancy 😉
- Lower ply toilet paper – less waste and less cost!
- Switch out the thermostat – a programmable, is more efficient saving money and energy!
- Turn things off/unplug – or get a timer power strip!
- Donate, don’t trash – bring things to the goodwill or sell at a consignment.
- Use gift bags, not wrap – they are easier to save and reuse!
- Towel dry your hair first – saves time and energy when blow drying!
- Plug your sink to rinse or wash dishes – It’s simple and more convenient than turning the faucet on and off!
- Swap your bottled water for a water filter and reuseable bottles. BONUS: Save the plastic bottles you do have/buy and make new water bottles at home to have on hand!
- Bring reusable utensils and dishes to work. Store in the office and wash in the sink there. Bye bye daily paper coffee cup and stir stick!
- Buy used or electronic options when you can – less clutter and less waste!
BONUS: Watch this video on hand washing and learn an awesome trick to reduce your waste when “going on the go.”
What are your favorite Eco-Friendly swaps?